Once relegated to only country barns and homes, metal roofs have quickly become one of today’s most popular building trends. In fact, sales of metal roofs have more than quadrupled in the last decade, making them one of the fastest growing construction products. More and more homeowners choose to change to metal roofs because of the benefits they offer, as well as the variations that are now available.
Benefits of metal roofing
While other roofs quickly lose value and deteriorate at an alarming rate, metal roofs can provide a number of lasting benefits. Below are just a few of the reasons to consider switching to a metal roof.
- Long lasting: Metal is one of the longest lasting roofing materials available. On average, metal roofs can be expected to last between 40 and 80 years, nearly 3 times as long as average shingled roofs.
- Low weight: Metal roofs weigh less than most other building materials, putting less stress on your home’s structural integrity.
- Wind resistant: In Middle Tennessee, it is important that a roof is both beautiful and strong. Because many metal roofs are built using interlocking panels, they are more wind resistant than other roofing materials.
- Energy efficient: Because metal roofs reflect the sun’s rays, they help keep your home cooler in the summer. This reduces energy costs as you do not need to run your thermostat as long to keep your home cool.
- Fire resistant: While wood roofs can quickly become engulfed in flames in the event of a house fire, metal is a fire resistant building material.
Variations on metal roofing
As the demand for metal roofing has grown, so has the number of styles of metal roofing available. There are now more variations on metal roofing available, giving homeowners the ability to find a metal roof that matches their home’s style and can easily blend in with the surrounding houses in the neighborhood. Below are a few of the most popular metal roof variations.
- Corrugated: The “traditional” metal roof, corrugated roofs are now galvanized and can provide a vintage or classic look on new construction and older homes alike. Corrugated metal roofs are an excellent choice for homes with skylights or fiberglass panels, as they typically have similar structural designs and patterns.
- R Panel: R Panel roofs are easy to install and require minimal maintenance, making them a popular choice for both residential and commercial roofing. Available in a variety of colors, R Panel roofs are an excellent metal flat roof option.
- Standing Seam: Architectural standing seam roofs are the most weather resistant metal roofs due to the way that the metal panels interlock. This tightly built, watertight seal often makes architectural standing seam the most popular metal roof choice for residential properties.
While there are variations on color, style, and price, no matter what you choose your new metal roof will protect your home for years to come. Contact L & L Contractors today to learn more about how a metal roof can add beauty and style to your home!